Summer’s almost here, which means it’s prime time for a few much-needed spiff-ups around the house. When the weather’s warm, we mass-migrate outdoors, giving us the opportunity to improve the backyard, porch, patio, and garage so that we can take full advantage of them while the sun’s out. The following home improvement projects will help you create an enhanced outdoor living space that you’ll want to use throughout the warm-weather months. They also improve indoor living so you can enjoy it to its fullest when you’re stuck inside during the cold.
1. The Garage Optimizer: Add a Bug-Proof Screen – If you’re one of the many Americans who feel like they don’t have enough outdoor living space, consider that you might have a few hundred square feet of overlooked living potential via the garage. One great way to make the garage extra-livable, especially during the muggy summer months, is to install a garage door screen (tutorial here). All it takes is a roll of fiberglass screen, a zipper, and a few VELCRO® Brand fasteners, and you’ll instantly have a bug-proof space for working and hanging out.
2. The Deck Do-Over: Screen-In and Mosquito-Proof – Combat some of the biggest threats to enjoyable outdoor living by bug-proofing your deck, porch, or patio. The same DIY garage screen mentioned above can be applied to any outdoor deck if you already have a canopy or overhang to begin with. Use reusable, industrial strength hook and loop tape to create vinyl windows or a simple bug screen to keep out the dreaded mosquitoes. Remember to pepper in plenty of citronella candles and mosquito-repelling plants for good measure.
3. The Backyard Update: Build an Outdoor Kitchen – You might be surprised to find that you can build an outdoor kitchen for a shockingly reasonable price, just as long as you’re handy enough to wield a few power tools. By adding a built-in grill, an outdoor sink, a pizza oven, or maybe an open-air bar for your guests, you can bet your patio will become one of the most popular in the neighborhood, and you’ll want to host get-togethers all summer long.
4. The Kitchen Refresh: Add New Hardware, Paint, and Backsplash – Summer is one of the best times of the year to tackle a few of those lingering interior projects. If you live somewhere where it gets really cold in the winter, you want to relegate all your paint and grout projects to the months when you can keep windows open to help with drying and ventilation. Consider taking this time to make minor upgrades to the kitchen—a new coat of paint, a new backsplash, and some stylish new hardware—so you can enjoy it to its fullest year-round.
5. The Home Theater Addition: Install a Projector – Summer is all about relaxing, hosting parties, and taking a bit of a break from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the year. That’s why it’s also an amazing time to create that dreamy home theater room you’ve been fantasizing about! The great thing is, with the rise of affordable home theater systems and high-def projectors, you can turn virtually any space into a next-level home theater room. You might even consider creating an outdoor theater space for the kids to enjoy. Don’t forget the recliners and the popcorn machine.
6. The Exterior Enhancement: Paint and Touch-Up – There’s no better time of year to address those lingering exterior issues, including chipping paint as well as any wood or stone components that may be rotting, rusting, or falling apart. If you’re in good shape and have no health issues, you can most likely knock out minor touch-ups on your own with the right equipment. You might even consider renting a boom lift or a cherry picker for a safer way to address those high-up concerns. If the work requires maneuvering at serious heights that you’re not comfortable with, hire a pro to handle the job.
7. The Yard Upgrade: Add a Privacy Fence Around Your Yard – Creating an enjoyable, highly livable exterior space is about making it one that’s spacious, welcoming, and completely private. Summer is a great time to finally make your yard the open-air entertaining space of your dreams by installing a privacy fence that creates a cozy, secluded space. Small things like a bit of landscaping, planting a garden, and adding a pergola or canopy will also help upgrade backyard living in a measurable way.
8. The Chill Factor: Add a Pool or Hot Tub – You’ve installed a fence, planted a garden, and built an outdoor kitchen. Now it’s time for the crown jewel: the pool or hot tub! Nothing makes your yard more appealing than adding a relaxing place to take a dip. These days, you can get above-ground pools in all kinds of amazing configurations and shapes, with many affordable options that don’t limit you to the typical clunky, circular styles. If you prefer an adults-only entertaining space, consider adding a special outdoor patio area complete with a hot tub and a little bar area.
Simple Upgrades Equal Enhanced Quality of Life
This summer, it’s all about tackling those home improvement projects that double as life improvement projects—the ones that enhance your home and outdoor environment so they’re comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable places to hang out for you, your family, and your friends. The result is an environment that makes you feel happy and encourages you to spend time with the people you love the most!
Author Bio: Halle Summers is a Marketing Coordinator for FASTENation Inc., a premier global manufacturer, technical converter, distributor, and designer of adhesive based fasteners and tapes. Halle enjoys sharing her unique perspective and knowledge through her blog writing. When she isn’t writing articles, she enjoys spending time in downtown Charleston, South Carolina and all the amazing food her hometown has to offer.