In the UK, families are trending toward hiring a domestic cleaner (or cleaners) help to keep their homes clean. There are many benefits to this such as giving families more free time together and improved sanitation at home. Another positive effect is reduced stress levels – all just by living in a consistently cleaner environment!
Isn’t a domestic cleaner expensive?
The cost of hiring a domestic cleaner has traditionally been a far lower percentage of income in the UK than in places like Australia, New Zealand and the United States. With the number of cleaning agencies and professional cleaning companies available it is possible to pay less based on the frequency and duration of the service you require. Many families only use a cleaning service for a few hours every one to two weeks.
Are there benefits besides a clean home?
Families that are interested in using a domestic cleaner often find it difficult to justify the expense. However, keeping the house clean does more than create a pleasant environment. Kitchen and bathroom fixtures and appliances fall into disrepair because of limescale buildup, which can be prevented by frequent cleaning. Carpets and wooden floors stay in better condition when they are regularly cleaned and maintained. If you’re planning to sell your house or passing it on to family in the future it is worth investing in a cleaning service to help.
Are there any drawbacks to hiring a domestic cleaner?
Many people look at hiring a domestic cleaner as something reserved for elite families who think they are too good to do their own cleaning. It’s not possible to speak for everybody but most families simply don’t have enough time to clean the house as thoroughly and as often as they would like to.
It is important to consider the following points before hiring a domestic cleaner or professional cleaning service:
- Be prepared to pay at least minimum wage (£6.35) or, if based in and around London, a London Living Wage (£8.55) (figures at the time of writing)
- Find out whether the agency or cleaning company you employ provides their employees with all the required statutory benefits.
- Make enquiries of the agency or cleaning company as to whether employees are being treated fairly.
- Ensure that any agency or cleaning company you use hires only properly vetted and eligible workers.
- Never hire an undocumented worker as an independent contractor. Even though the price may be lower per hour, the cost could be far greater in the long run.
Are you looking or a domestic cleaning service? If so give the guys at ProClean Team a call on 020 8742 1808 and they will be happy to help!
Want to keep up to date with more useful cleaning hacks? Follow The Organised Cleaning Company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more useful cleaning tips! You can also subscribe to The Organised Cleaner blog for daily cleaning hacks direct to your inbox!